Sunday, May 22, 2011

My people.

I'm back!
It's amazing how disconnected I feel from the blogosphere after only 6 days away. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things and have lots of stories to share with you, but for now I will tell you about my trip.

My visit with the fam was amazing and the sad reality is that it will never be easy leaving them. It's taken me a few days to try and pull myself out of this funk. This always happens. When I get home from seeing my family I get a little depressed and obsess about finding a weekend I can get back out there for another visit. This will all subside in a few days and I will be happy and content again.

After 5 and a half years of being away from them I still cry every single time I leave. My feelings remind me of what Kelle Hampton said a few weeks ago, "The unfortunate part of going home to visit is that once you are there, you begin to remember what you gave up to move away."

Although we flew out to TN, CA is home base for all of us. My mom, dad and little brother will move back to CA at the end of this year after fulfilling a 5 year job contract in TN.
When I use the word 'home' I am referring to wherever it is that my family is all together.
This was home this past week.
I am happy where I am in my life, but no matter how happy I am there will always be a bit of sadness because I can't see and be with my family as often as I would like.

My family is very important to me. We've been through a lot together and I will never have a bond with anyone like I do with them. It's special and one of a kind. Like my sis always says, they are, "My people."

On a lighter note the graduation was fantastic! I had shirts made and some pretty awesome signs too!



My little brother was so happy to have us all there and it was great to be there.

We spent quality time together, ate like pigs, played Scrabble, went to Chickamauge Battlefield.
Chickamauge Battlefield
I got to spend a whole day with my cousins, aunt, uncle and brother at  Dollywood, which I haven't done in years!
We celebrated my niece's and my birthday, my sister gave me a make-up lesson, we shopped a little and continued to eat like pigs.

I was sure to enjoy the beautiful (and very green) scenery.
Now that I am home I think about what I gave up to move away and although that was my choice it still makes me a little blue.

I do feel however, that being a few states away is healthy for me and my family. You see, we argued a lot when we were all near each other. A lot.

The time we spend together now are better cherished since they are far and few between.

It was a wonderful visit and I am grateful for the memories.

Now...back to ranching.

2 comments:

Marisa said...

It is awesome to visit family especially being so far away. My family will be here later this summer and I'm looking forward to it. Mostly because they are awesome at helping with Austin. :)

Meredith said...

oh my gosh, those graduation shirts are so cool! niiiice:)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS